Apple Cider Sweet Potatoes are fun new way to add fall flavor to a favorite dish!
Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorite ways to welcome fall to our table. Now I’m even more excited because I’ve added a new twist by making Apple Cider Sweet Potatoes! The temperatures are still reaching the low to mid 90’s here in Lynchburg; but we’re starting to see that my favorite season is knocking on the door! Leaves are beginning to fall and the nights are hinting with a coolness in the air.
Sweet potatoes frequent our table more than any other potato. We love them baked or in a casserole and love that they don’t require a lot of extra sugar to be sweet! This recipe adds a tart flavor when you use unsweetened apple cider that I know you’ll love as much as we do.
When choosing sweet potatoes, I always go for the ones smaller in size because they are sweeter, creamier, and less starchy than the large ones. The skin should be firm and smooth. The darker the color of the potato, the richer it is in the antioxidant beta-carotene.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Sweet potatoes – I like to choose small ones — they’re a little sweeter!
- Apple cider – Unsweetened — but you can sweetened if you prefer
- Brown Sugar
- Cinnamon Stick
A delicious new way to welcome Fall to the table!
- 4 lbs. sweet potatoes - peeled and diced
- 2½ cups apple cider
- ½ brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, divided
- Cinnamon Stick
- Using a nonreactive saucepan, combine the sweet potatoes, apple cider, brown sugar, 6 tbsp. of the butter, and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Reduce to a simmer and partially cover to continue cooking.
- Stir occasionally until the potatoes are tender (approx. 45 minutes)
- Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Smash or puree (if you prefer a creamier mix).
- Place in an oven-safe casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Top with remaining 2 tbsp. of butter.
- Cover with foil and bake, stirring a few times, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional five minutes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 176mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 8gSugar: 22gProtein: 5g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 9/4/2019