New Book for Parents Takes The Worry Out of Digital Screen Time!
Who hasn’t noticed their child, or any child zoned out in front of a digital screen? But trying to police and protect children from screen time is unquestionably one of the most confusing and frustrating responsibilities of good parenting.
If you’re a parent and screens are something that worry you, Nicole Dreiske’s “The Upside of Digital Devices: How to Make Your Child More Screen Smart, Literate, and Emotional Intelligent,” (HCI Books, $15.95, ISBN 9780757320477, May 1, 2018) is the book that can change things. It is a moving, persuasive and informative companion that walks parents through what they need to know to prepare their children for success in the modern digital world:
- How to have great talks with kids about what they are watching.
- Simple steps that allow children to build their own “filters and controls”.
- How to help children notice and understand their thoughts and feelings about their experiences with digital devices.
- Ways to build a child’s literacy skills while watching Youtube, TV, movies or playing games.
- How to enhance a child’s vocabulary, empathy, communication and critical thinking skills through talking about what they’re watching.
- Family values and screen time—what most parents haven’t been told and need to know.
- Turn mindless viewing into mindful viewing by teaching kids to approach screens with intention and focus.
“The Upside of Digital Devices“ both marks a turning point in American parenting and a turning point in the whole parenting paradigm around screens.
About Nicole Dreiske
Nicole Dreiske has forty years of experience in developing cutting-edge educational strategies. She is an education innovator and one of the country’s leaders in the development of screen-based programs for educating children. — Nicole is now Executive Director of the International Children’s Media Center.
About International Children’s Media Center
The Chicago-based International Children’s Media Center (ICMC) is an international organization that is dedicated to changing the way children, view, use and engage media. The nonprofit’s mission is to use screen time to accelerate learning, elevate, empathy and fight screen addiction. Visit www.icmediacenter.org.
One (1) lucky reader will win a copy of the book, The Upside of Digital Devices: How to Make Your Child More Screen Smart, Literate, and Emotionally Intelligent. The giveaway will end May 15th, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
- The giveaway is open to US residents, age 18+, only.
- Lynchburg Mama (and any co-hosting blogs) are not responsible for prize shipment.
- No P.O. Boxes, please.
- No purchase required.
- Winners are chosen randomly via Gleam.
- Winners will be notified via email and have 48 hours to claim his/her prize. A new winner will be chosen if a response is not received.