There are only ten minutes in the life of a pear when it is perfect to eat. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
The pear is my personal favorite fruit. According to the USDA, apples, oranges, and bananas are the top three choices in America. Following those top favorites are grapes, strawberries, watermelon, and pineapple. Pears are rarely enjoyable by people because they are temperamental, bruise easily, and the perfect ripe time is difficult to determine for enjoyment. If you’re willing to take the chance, pick up some on your next grocery run and try this delicious recipe – you won’t be disappointed!
Types of Pears
- Anjou – Sweet + juicy; stay the same color when ripened; good for baking + cooking
- Barlett – Most commonly known, sweet + juicy, green skin, ripens to yellow; best for eating fresh or canning
- Bosc – Winter variety with yellow-brownish skin; good for baking and cooking
- Comice – My personal favorite for flavor; smooth + sweet; good to eat fresh
- Seckel – Small but sweet + spicy, grainy flesh; good for baking + cooking
How to Buy Pears
Pears are quite fickle. If you live near a local farm, I highly recommend picking or buying from them so you can handle the pears from start to finish. Handling and shipping a pear needs to be gentle with proper storage. Store pears in the open and buy while they’re still firm so they will be at the perfect ripened stage a few days later to bake/cook with in this recipe.
Pear Crumble Pie
A delicious pie that features the underestimated fruit – the pear!
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/lynchbur/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-recipe-maker/templates/public/fallback-recipe.php on line 42
Arrange pie crust in pie plate.
Combine pears, white sugar, cornstarch, all-spice and salt. Pour into pie crust.
Sprinkle mixture over the top of the pears.
Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes.
Cover with foil and continue to bake for 10-15 minutes.
Allow to cool and enjoy!
PIN for Later!
Discover more recipes —
- Cast Iron Southern Banana Pudding
- Banana Crumble Muffins
- Sun Drop Cake
- Whipped Pumpkin Pie Butter
- Vegan Hot Chocolate